Friday, March 28, 2008

Spring Break = Catching up on Movies!

While most University of Iowa students were away for Spring Break and catching up on lost time in the sun, I decided to save some money and catch up on movies I didn't see yet (on a brand new 50 inch Samsung plasma TV no less!). Here is a quick review and recommendations of the movies I watched:

Eastern Promises: This movie was the direct opposite of what I thought it was going to be like. I expected a lot of "gangster action" with various gun and fight scenes. What I got was actually a lot different, yet still very entertaining and one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. Viggo Mortensen was very good and very convincing in his role as the driver for the Vory V Zakone criminal brotherhood. This is one of those movies where everyone said it was good and it actually lived up to the hype. Verdict: See it!

Shoot 'Em Up: If anyone has seen tons of action movies and is ready for a movie that blatantly makes fun of the often impossible-feats many action stars achieve, then this movie is a must see. Clive Owen has become one of my favorite actors after starring in great movies like Sin City, Derailed, Inside Man and Children of Men. Owen again keeps it entertaining in this movie bringing a unique sense of humor to a very violent atmosphere. I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun watching an action movie. Verdict: See it!

The Bourne Ultimatum: I was a huge fan of the two previous films (The Bourne Identity & The Bourne Supremacy) and had big expectations going into this third movie. Once again I continue to be impressed with the way these movies are shot and how the plot keeps you entertained. The fight scenes in this film were top notch and the behind-the-scenes content on the DVD was great in seeing how everything was put together. This is yet again another great addition to the Jason Bourne franchise and Matt Damon has a winner with these movies. The best aspect of the movie is the ending, which I won't spoil, but it will put a smile on anyone's face who have seen the two previous movies. Verdict: See it!

No comments: